Recommendations of the Legislative Commission to End Poverty in Minnesota by 2020:
Restore work as a way out of poverty.
· Ensure that work pays
· Make work available
· Help business make employment opportunities available
Refocus public assistance to streamline services and support everyone’s capacity and potential.
· Connect people to help in crisis
· Support people in financial crisis
Help Minnesotans build and maintain financial assets.
· Ensure public assistance allows reasonable assets
· Ensure fair financial marketplace
· Restrict use of personal credit information
· Equip to manage finances
Revitalize our communities through infrastructure and person-to-person support.
· Infrastructure of housing and transportation
· Nurture person-to-person support
· Ensure families are safe and healthy
· Support young people
Modernize our system of education to build the best workforce in the nation.
· Nurture children early
· Improve academic performance
· Equip with education and skills for work
Develop an ongoing structure to monitor Minnesota’s effort to end poverty.
· Create tools to monitor progress
· Develop specific goals and benchmarks
For the full report, and to learn more about the Legislative Commission to End Poverty in Minnesota by 2020, visit www.commissions.leg.state.mn.us/lcep